A Dream Come True.
A personal note from Wendy Dawson, Founder & Executive Director of Social Motion Skills
My stepson was diagnosed with PDD-NOS at the age of two. After he came into my life at age four, his Dad and I spent the next decade scouting the Houston area for social skills classes geared to high-functioning children on the spectrum. A program that offered 100% social skills concentration... a stable and sustainable program offering precursory training for the situations he would face. Nothing clinical, nothing temporary. Just pure social skills training focused on personal development, judgement, decision making and the opportunity to practice those skills in a safe environment.
We never found it, so in early 2010, we founded Social Motion Inc., classified as a 501(c)(3) non-profit serving greater Houston. It is my sincere hope that what was once missing in our son’s own life is now found for you and your child too.
Onward and upward,
We are 100% Social & Living Skills
- We focus SOLELY on social skills, training and mastery of mainstream activities – for children, adolescents and adults with social & learning deficits including ADD/ADHD and autism spectrum disorders.
- We are serious about social behavior modification. We offer the quantity and quality of practice sessions necessary to effectuate real change
- We are your relentless persistence partner. Without a commitment to persistent practice, social skills will not be internalized
- Our personal understanding, vision, expertise and experience make us unique. There is no other program like us in Houston or its surrounding areas.
Providing strategies and life path solutions to enable those with social cognitive challanges to become productive, fulfilled individuals.
To transform the lives of those with social cognitive challenges.
By grouping students by grade-level versus “skill” level we can focus on what children and young adults are faced with daily, i.e. what’s going on within their peer groups (ex. sports/ social events, what’s cool and fun) and what teachers and parents expect of them (ex. class behavior, responsibility, daily family life and trips).
Our classes begin at the early elementary level and expand through to the transitioning independent adult level and beyond to the workplace. The curriculum is founded on fundamental building blocks of positive character traits. These core values of society are incorporated into each social skills class. We also revisit the curriculum constantly to ensure that it, too, is evolving and adapting to the fickle social world we all live in. Social demands don’t stop, so neither do we. That said, our approach is less “clinical” and more “practical.”
However, the skills are no less potent.
All Social Motion Skills students will learn to exhibit a desire to believe in themselves, blend in, and befriend. They want to “fit in.” They want friends, to do fun stuff, to be happy and achieve a high quality of life . As parents and teachers, we want that for them more than anything.
- In affirming the value and competencies of individuals with different social styles
- That individuals with social differences CAN learn a wide range of skills and coping mechanisms
- Individuals can and will succeed with patience and belief in their abilities
- Each of our students has the cognitive ability to think, consider, learn, and internalize problem solving skills and concepts vs. being taught rote responses.
- To reinforce positive character traits and age appropriate social activity skills for individuals with integration difficulties.
- To provide the introduction to and manner to rehearse social living skills in a safe and non-judgmental environment.
- To provide programs and curriculums that constantly meet the changing needs of our students and parents.
- To be a life-span partner for families supporting individuals with social challenges.
- To start early and relentlessly pursue the goal of achieving the most independent life possible for our students.
We have assembled an exceptional leadership team who is 100% dedicated to providing the building blocks necessary to promote and develop the social well-being of every child and young adult with integration difficulties through dynamic, relevant curriculums; sound financial backing; and strong support from local and national autism and learning difference communities.
Social Motion Skills is grateful to have a wealth of talented and compassionate visionaries, representing a diverse range of professional backgrounds, as members of our Board.
Certain words and phrases define the culture here at Social Motion Skills. We call it SOMO MOJO. Get your MOJO here. You’ll find our infographic attached here.
Our Success - still a work in progress
Our son is driving, attends Texas Tech Univeristy and cooks family dinners when he is home from college. His dream is to live independently and we will continue to believe in him, his goals, and stretch his abilities until his ideal quality of life is achieved. We hope to share what we've learned with you.